Search This Blog

Sunday, November 11, 2018

Wikipedia Trails: From Draupadi to Elizabeth of Russia

Wikipedia Trails: From Draupadi to Elizabeth of Russia

Brihadishvara Temple. Source: Wikmedia.  

I started the trail off with Draupadi article. I wanted to read more on her to see if there could be anything on her Wikipedia page that wasn't mentioned in any of the readings. I got to learn some more information of her life with the Pandavas. I also learned that she has over 400 temples dedicated to her throughout various Indian states. 

From that article, I went to the article about Tamil Nadu. I have always been curious about the South Indian states. The languages down in the south are completely different than the ones I've grown up hearing. I got to learn from the article that the language of Tamil was the first language to be recognized as a classical language of India. 

From the Tamil Nadu article, I went to the article about the Seven Years' War. I remembered learning about it in a world history class but I don't remember much about it so I decided to research more. I learned that it spanned over 5 continents and it involved every European great power. It has also been described as "World War Zero" because it was similar in scale to the other wars.

Lastly, I ended at the article of Elizabeth of Russia. I wanted to learn more about her because I've heard of Queen Elizabeth of the United Kingdom, but this was a first to see a Queen Elizabeth of Russia. Elizabeth was the Empress of Russia from 1741 to her in 1762. She led the country throughout two wars: the War of Austrian Succession and the Seven Years' War. 

No comments:

Post a Comment