Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 27, 2018

Reading Notes: Sita Sings the Blues, Part A

by Nina Paley. 

Sita sits by a tree after she is captured by Ravana. Source: Wikimedia Commons.


For this week's reading, I decided to watch the movie Sita Sings the Blues. I wish I had watched this earlier in the semester when we had free choice of Ramayana readings. But I'm also glad I got to watch it now because this was such a fun stress reliever. At first I thought it was just going to a long video of informational stuff, but it was actually really fun and some parts were downright hilarious. 

I think my favorite thing about the whole movie are the shadow puppets! They're the narrators and they're so funny! It's like, they're narrating but also they're just casually discussing it as if they're just sitting at home and just talking. 

From the readings I had done earlier in semester, I learned that Sita was a very devoted wife. Her devotion for her husband Rama can be seen from her actions. I feel like the movie made her seem like a very clingy, desperate wife. Especially the part where Rama saves her and he starts doubting her pureness. He thought since she had been in another man's house, she was impure. Eventually Rama forgives her after she goes the fire trial. Rama is like "will you forgive me Sita?" and she goes "of course Rama, I live only for you." That part kind of irked me. 

I think for a story I would make Sita this super independent woman who shows attitude and strength, instead of just crying all day and waiting for Rama to come save her from Ravana. 

No comments:

Post a Comment