Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 27, 2018

Reading Notes: Sita Sings the Blues, Part B

by Nina Paley. 

Sita cries a river after Rama exiles her. Source: Wikimedia Commons

I finished the rest of the movie for the Part B reading for this week. In my last reading post for this, I mentioned how I think Sita is shown as this desperate and clingy wife. I was thinking about writing a story for this week about Sita being the opposite of that. This second part of the movie gave me some good examples of how I could write her as this independent, strong woman I want to portray her as. 
  • One part is where she goes into the forest after she is exiled by Rama. She stays alone and is pregnant while at it. I could do a modern day twist of her being this working woman who's determined to go through this pregnancy by herself. 
  • Another part is when she's forced to do a test again to prove her purity to Rama. I can write about her doing the opposite of complying and being like "Yeah, no thanks. I don't need to prove myself." and then just walking off. 

However, there were some downright funny scenes that I just might end up writing about.
  • The scene where Rama and Sita's sons are older, and they're singing praises about Rama. But in reality, they're lowkey dissing him at the same time. They sang something like "Rama set his wife ablaze, got her home, kicked her out," and then "duty first, Sita last." 
  • Another part that was funny to me was after Rama asks Sita to go through a test again, she is like "If I'm truly impure, then may Mother Earth take me back into her womb." So Mother Earth comes, Sita starts to run to her, everyone else runs after Sita, and then when Sita tries to jump into "the womb", she pauses and the music does like scratch stop. I just thought that was pretty funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment