Search This Blog

Friday, September 28, 2018

Week 6 Story: Kunti's Farewell


*I have updated this story and this newer version is on my website listed under Rough Goodbyes.

Kunti bids farewell to Karna. Source: Mojarto. 
Kunti's Farewell

As Kunti made her way down to the river with her newborn son, she couldn't help feeling overwhelmed with emotions of all range. She had millions of thoughts running through mind.

"What will people think if they find out? How will I face everyone," thought Kunti. But the one thought that was the most prominent was "can I really give up my son?" She held back tears for she knew she had to be strong about this. 

She stared down at her boy, her beautiful baby Karna. Out of all the emotions she was feeling, she felt shame at the moment. Shame that she knew will haunt her for the rest of her life if she didn't do what she was about to do. 

At the riverbed, she wrapped Karna in the softest of sheets and laid his head down a costly, soft pillow. She placed the basket in the water and floated him down the river. This she couldn't hold back the tears. Kunti cried her heart for the son she knew she had lost, quite possible for ever. 

"Oh my child, I hope you are protected by everyone. Please protect my baby," she pleaded to the gods. "May you be shielded from harm. May your father, the sun god, give you warmth." 

Kunti sat there watching her baby float away from her. She sat for hours after just staring at the river, thinking about what she had just done. She thought about who will find her son, who will raise him.

She even thought about how her life would've been if she had kept Karna. She thought about all the trouble her little boy would've caused, about all the times she would be running after him to punish him. Kunti wallowed in her grief for a little bit longer but she knew she couldn't stay like this forever. She mustered together all the strength she could and started on her way back home. All the while, she still thought about her actions and hoped for a bright future for her son.



Author's Note: I used the source "Kunti and Her Son" by Donald A Mackenzie, from Indian Myth and Legend. In the original chapter, Kunti is shown leaving Karna at a river and floating him away. We don't know exactly what must have gone on in her head at the time, but I thought of something that I think would be what she must have gone through.



6 comments:

  1. Hi Shivani!

    I can't imagine how hard it must have been for Kunti to give up her son, but it must have hurt. You did a great job capturing her brokenness throughout the whole ordeal. When I read the original I wanted to see how this part played out as well, so I'm glad you did it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Shivani! (Sorry I made a confusing error in my other comment) This was a very good story. You described Kunti's pain really well. The flow of emotions you gave was heartbreaking and so human. The way you provided images of the lost future that Kunti was experiencing added to the whole experience of her having to leave her son. Also, giving a woman's perspective was very nice because this is often neglected in the epics! Great story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Shivani!
    First off this was a very good story! I was taken back and cannot even imagine how hard it must have been for Kunti to give up her son. But you did a fantastic job at picturing and showing her heartbreak throughout the story. You did a great job at sticking with the plot to the original. I really look forward to reading your future stories! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Shivani!
    Your story was very good! It was nice to read what went on Kunti's head when she gave up her son Karna. I could not even imagine how hard it was for her to do that. I think you did a great job on describing her feelings and expressing what could've gone on in her head. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Shivani! I really enjoyed reading through this story. You did such a great job at showcasing Kunti’s emotions and thoughts, and her sadness throughout this whole ordeal. Having to give up a child like that would be such a difficult thing to do, and you really captured that difficulty well! I remember reading through the Mahabharata and thinking that this would be a great story to expand on as well, so thanks for bring that to life!

    ReplyDelete