Search This Blog

Friday, November 16, 2018

Week 13 Story: Arjun and Subha's Relaxing Evening

Arjun and Subha's Relaxing Evening

Abhimanyu fighting in the Chakravyuha. Source: Wikimedia.

It is a warm, summer evening. A couple can be seen sitting on a bench in their backyard, talking animatedly. The husband rubs the wife’s stomach, trying to feel their baby kick. 

“I can’t wait till he gets here,” says Arjun the husband. 

“I know, me neither. I just want to not look so big anymore,” says the wife, Subha. 

Arjun laughed at his wife’s whining. Ever since they found out she was pregnant, he felt much happier every day. He couldn’t wait until his son arrived in this world. They had already picked out a named. They were going to name him Abhimanyu. 

“Tell me a story, Arjun,” said Subha.

“About what,” asked Arjun.

“Anything. I’m just in the mood for a story or something. I want the baby to hear too,” said Subha.

“Hmm. What story should I tell her,” thought Arjun. He kept thinking and thinking until he finally settled on telling her about the Chakravyuha. 

“Subha, do you know what the Chakravyuha is,” asked Arjun. “No,” answered his wife. 

“Well, then prepare yourself for a little history lesson. When I was little, my dad would always tell me stories about wars and battles,” said Arjun. “I got to learn a lot of old-timey war strategies such as formations. One of my favorite formations he told me about was the Chakravyuha. It’s a multi-tiered defensive formation that looks like a blooming lotus if you look at it from above. The warriors would be places in positions where it would be tough to fight and tough to leave. It was used in the battle of Kurukshetra. That was a battle between the Kauravas and Pandavas from the Mahabharata. You know what’s a big coincidence?”

“What,” asked Subha.

“One of the great warriors who died in the Chakravyuha, his name was also Abhimanyu. He fought everyone in that Chakravyuha all by himself. He was courageous and literally fought till his death.”

“Oh, really?” questioned Subha.

“Yes,” exclaimed Arjun. “When our boy grows up, I’m going to tell him stories about this great warrior Abhimanyu and the war stories I know. I hope the stories will inspire him to be just as courageous as his namesake.”

Little did they know, their son was listening to everything they said from the womb. 

Bibliography:
Birth of Abhimanyu. Epified: Mahabharata.
Chakravyuha. Wikipedia.

Author's Note: I watched an Epified: Mahabharata video where more of Arjuna and Subhadra's relationship is shown. There's a part where she is pregnant and the narrator says that Arjuna used to tell Subhadra stories, and Abhimanyu would be listening from the womb. One of them included the strategy of the Chakravyuha. I thought to write a story about how I think an interaction between them would be like. I also had to look up some more on the Chakravyuha so I could actually describe it. 


5 comments:

  1. Hey there Shivani!
    This was a very intriguing and cool story! I really liked how the story was told indirectly to the baby through Arjun telling Subha a story. I thought you did a very good job at telling this story while keeping the original plot of the original Indian epic! I really enjoyed your story and look forward to reading more of your stories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there Shivani! First, I noticed your title on your blog and that is so clever! haha I really enjoyed this story! It was interesting and from a great point of view. I love that you included that final sentence where he listened to the story from the womb. I am looking forward to reading some more of your stories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Shivani! Your story for Week 13 is amazing. I especially love the image you have for your blog post! I can definitely visualize Abhimanyu fighting in the Chakravyuha. Overall, your story outline is astounding. It was very interesting when you created a story about the lives of Arjuna and Subhadra. You did an excellent job, Shivani. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was a very simple yet deep story! I like the warm, soft-hearted dialogue between Arjuna and his wife. It was also interesting to learn about the Chakravyuha formation. I had never heard of that and I don't remember it being mentioned in the Mahabharata. I loved how Arjuna's story served as a background for their baby's namesake. I just caught a simple spelling mistake. "The warriors would be places in positions..." instead of "placed in positions." That's all though! Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Shivani!
    I really enjoyed reading your story! I thought you did a good job writing it and liked how you used dialogues. It made the story more interesting and easy to read. I really liked how it was just a light hearted story of a father telling a story to his wife, and how excited he was for the birth of his son. Overall, great job!

    ReplyDelete