Search This Blog

Friday, November 9, 2018

Week 12: The Long Lost Son

The Long Lost Son

*I have updated this story for my portfolio project and the newer version is here on my website. I gave the story a new name as well. 
Cousins battling. Source: Wikimedia. 

“I can’t wait for the tournament,” Bhima announced loudly to his brother. The five Pandava brothers had been so excited all morning for this tournament. 

This tournament was between them and their cousins, the Kauravas. The purpose of the tournament was to see how much they had learned in their training from Kripacharya and Drona. Their skills would be tested today. Their talents would be exhibited in front of everyone including the royal family and the public. 

“I hope none of my sons get hurt today,” hoped Kunti. She had bene excited for the tournament as well. She knew her sons had all trained so hard. They had so much energy in them that she knew this would be a perfect way for them to exert all of that energy. 

At the tournament, all of the cousins had went and showcased the talents in front of the crowd. The one who stood out the most was her son, Arjuna. Everyone was stunned by his skills in archery and use of weapons. They watched in awe and admiration. She felt immense pride for her son. But then came along a man named Karna.

Karna said he had trained from Parshuram himself, so he wanted to challenge Arjuna. She watched as Karna surpassed all the feats Arjuna had made. She could tell from her son’s face that was getting angrier by the second. She watched as Arjuna refused to let Karna be crowned the victor.

Kunti couldn’t help but stare at Karna. For some reason, she felt a connection to this man. He looked familiar to her. She listened as Kripacharya stepped in and said they couldn’t let him fight if Karna wasn’t from a royal bloodline. They wanted to know his lineage.

“I don’t know about my lineage. All I know from my parents is that I was found in a basket floating down the river. I was brought up a charioteer and his wife, my mother. They are the only family I know,” explained Karna.

Kunti was in shock. She couldn’t believe what she had just heard. “Could this… could he… is this… no, that’s not possible. But it can be. But how?” thought Kunti. She started to panic. She started to feel dizzy and her vision was getting darker. She lost consciousness the moment she realized that Karna was her firstborn. 

Author's Note: I based this story off of an interaction from an Epified: Mahabharata video. In the video, Karna becomes King, Kunti finds out for the first time that the man challenging Arjuna is actually her firstborn she had given up. In the video, the narrator focuses more on the tension between the men, and the part about Kunti fainting is briefly mentioned towards the end. I thought since I had already written a story about Kunti giving about baby Karna in her perspective, I would write this in her perspective as well. 

Bibliography:

Karna becomes King. Epified: Mahabharata. 

6 comments:

  1. Hi Shivani. I like your story! I think it’s really unique and creative. The tournament must have been really important since it was to be exhibited in front of the royal family. I’m a fan of Arjuna and he showed off his master archery this time again. I also like how Arjuna doesn’t easily give up. The birth of Karna is mysterious and intriguing. This story is really interesting. Thank you for a great story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Shivani! I’ve been watching the Epified videos as well (and they do such a great job of depicting the Mahabharata), and I was actually wanting to a story on Kunti’s reaction as well! It’s actually in my reading notes from last week. Great minds think alike, huh? Great job showing her reaction in the story! I really enjoyed reading through it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Shivani,
    This was a really great story and I enjoyed being able to read it. You were really creative with how you created this story and added a lot of things that made it so much more interesting. I have also been watching the Epified videos as well. They do a really good job of depicting everything that they attempt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Shivani, I really loved your story. I really love watching those Epified videos. These stories have so much going on in them, it's easy to get lost and those videos are great for understanding the main ideas. I love what you did with the story and I hope to read more of your work soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Shivani! I just wanted to say that I loved your story! Wow! I can see that you put a lot of hard work and creativity into your writing! You also grabbed my attention and had it till the very end! Therefore, keep up the good work! I look forward to reading more of your stories! Good luck with the rest of your semester! It is close to being over! Also, have a good Thanksgiving break!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey there Shivani!
    I really liked your story! It was quite different and very creative. I guess the tournament was very important since it was placed in front of the royal family. I was a fan of Arjuna because he showed off his archery skills, and I enjoy archery as well so that was cool. This was a great story and I look forward to red more!

    ReplyDelete