Search This Blog

Sunday, December 2, 2018

Extra Reading: More Babbitt Jataka Tales

by Ellen C. Babbitt

For this extra reading, I read the Part B of the Jataka Tales. Just like last time, I had a good time reading these as well.

I really liked reading "The Ox Never Envied the Pig." Basically, the story is about these two oxen brothers who do all of the hard work on the farm and are only given straw and grass to eat while this lazy pig doesn't do anything and gets good food to eat. One of the oxen, Little Red, is grouching about having to do hard work but not getting good food in return. The older brother, Big Red, says to Little Red that he shouldn't be envious of the pig. The pig is being fattened up with the "food of death." They're going to eat the pig for the wedding feast, so be happy that you get to live a long life.

I really liked that one because I've always lived by the moral of the story. "Work hard and you'll be rewarded in some way." I'm not going to say that I don't envy people because I do, but I know my hard work will pay off one day.

Pig. Source: Max Pixel.

No comments:

Post a Comment